Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Perdomo Habano Corojo Toro



After a lengthy hiatus, Da Byrdman is back with another cigar review.  This time I decided to give my first cigar from Tabacalera Perdomo a shot.  I chose the Perdomo Habano Corojo primarily because of the look of the cigar itself and the banding.  I found myself hoping that I was not the victim of pretty packaging.

Here's the tale of the tape:
Perdomo Habano Corojo

Vitola: Toro
Size: 54 x 5.5"
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan
Filler:  Cuban-seed Nicaraguan
MSRP:  $6.50

Construction:  Oily wrapper with no real veins to speak of and firmly packed yet springy to touch.
Pre-light:  The cold draw is full of cedar and tobacco flavor.  No real evidence of spice or pepper.

1st third:  For this review I decided to pair the cigar with my favorite rum, Ron Zacapa 23, just in case the cigar proved to be a disappointment.  The initial puffs were slightly bitter and somewhat dry; however, further smoking yielded some pepper, lots of cedar, and an overall woodiness to the cigar.  The cigar produced a generous amount of resting smoke and had a very even burn.  Further into the cigar, I began to pick up a flavor similar to licorice along with a sweet spice on the retrohale.  The cigar produced a voluminous amount of thick, white smoke.  The body was definitely medium/full while the strength was in the medium range with no noticeable nicotine kick.

2nd third:  As I progressed further, I continued to pick up more cedar and sweet spice as the dominant flavors at this point in the cigar.  I also picked up some peppery notes on the tip of my tongue along with hints of coffee and some leather toward the lower end of the 2nd band.  The cigar seemed to be very consistent and quite enjoyable.  The body was definitely full while the strength remained in the medium range.

PhotobucketFinal third:  After removing the band, I noticed that the coffee note that appeared briefly in the middle of the cigar was absent and the leather flavor & texture had intensified.  The cedar and spice components remained intact throughout.  As the cigar burned to a nub, I was definitely satisfied with my first Tabacalera Perdomo experience.

In closing, while this would not necessarily be an "everyday" cigar for me, I would definitely invest in a box of these if your palate is geared for fuller flavors with less strength. 

Overall I would give this cigar 3 out of 5 smokes.




Be sure to leave me a comment below.  Until next time . . .Happy smoking.

3 comments:

  1. Great review Byrdman! I enjoy this smoke from time to time. I think you would like the 10th Anniversary Maduro also. Perdomo puts out a ton of blends. much like Rocky Patel, but once you wade through the ones that aren't very good, you can find some real winners. Great job, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Paul. I am definitely looking forward to trying other cigars from Tabacalera Perdomo. The Lot 23 series also caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review man, I actually have never had this smoke, but I do have one resting in my humidor. Ever since the Camacho Corojo I've shyed away from corojo cigars. That one kicked the crap outta me. After your review I'm interested in taking the Perdomo out for a spin! Keep it it man!

    ReplyDelete