Thursday, July 30, 2009

Smokin' Some Good Cain

Smokin’ Some Good Cain

The Latin jazz on the XM radio in the background and the humidity of a warm post-rain summer night gives the feeling of being on an island beach even though I’m just sitting at home with Big Pimpin’ on the deck. I chose the Cain toro given to me this past weekend at NUB Live by the man himself, Sam Leccia (thanks again buddy). The Cain cigar (toro size) is a sight to behold, unbanded, with impeccable construction and a nice oily sheen that intensifies from the foot to the head. The pre-light draw screams all ligero flavor, but the spicy pepper kick is surprisingly dampened. The first couple of draws are effortless and confirm that this cigar is “straight ligero” as advertised. Subsequent puffs reveal a woody caramel finish that is reminiscent of the “toasted” cracker jacks without the sugary sweetness. The smoke produced on exhaling is bountiful, thick, white, and creamy but the power of the ligero is ever-present. Passing smoke through the sinuses is effortless and buttery with no burn or “heat” characteristic of other ligero powerhouses. The ash is a salt & peppery complexion that’s firm and holds for the first inch and a half to two inches.

Into the second third, the ligero is picking up speed like a roller coaster nearing the crest of the "big drop". The pepper and spice is becoming more prevalent when exhaled through the sinuses and there is a slight spicy tinge on my tongue, yet this cigar remains smooth & velvety. I fully anticipated that this cigar was going to put me down for the count and it probably would have if it were not for the balancing smoothness that makes enjoying the ligero flavor effortless. Sneaky is not an adequate word to describe the effect but this is definitely a "chill out" cigar as opposed to the gut punch experienced from other double ligeros. Mind you, this cigar is "straight" ligero.

I couldn’t stop praising this cigar going into the final third. For someone who loves full-bodied cigars, I was in my world and yet the smoothness reminded me of a mild to medium cigar. As evidenced by the nub left in the ashtray, with a roach I could still enjoy this cigar for another 20 minutes until it burned my lips. Amazingly the cigar stayed cool in the final third and although the flavor intensified once again with more peppery spice, toasted woodiness and leather, the balance of the cigar just made me want to keep coming back for more. I call this cigar the “B-2 Stealth” because you know going in that it’s going to be a strong full-bodied flavor bomber and do a fair share of damage, yet it quietly flies in under the radar undetected and lulls you to sleep all while giving you every bit of the power of the ligero that it contains. Big Pimpin’ can attest that it takes a lot to get me excited when someone says “full-bodied” and I thought I had met my new all-time favorite, for the time being, when Jerry Cruz aka The Great Torpedo from Stogie Review (big up Stogie Review posse) turned me on to the Man O’ War Ruination. Cain provided all of the power and even more of the flavor but the delivery is unparalleled in my opinion. Having had the toro size in the Cain lineup, I would love to do a head-to-head with the Ruination Robusto #2 and the Cain Double Toro size.

In closing, I think any lover of full-bodied, full-flavored cigars owes it to himself/herself to give Cain a try. Look for it in the coming weeks. Until next time…fly straight and fly high.

-Da Byrdman-

No comments:

Post a Comment