Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Battle with a Man O' War Ruination

After hearing Jerry Cruz aka The Great Torpedo rave about these on Twitter and then seeing his review on StogieReview.com, I broke down and decided that I had to try them for myself. Yes, I’m talking about the Man O’ War Ruination. I managed to snag a 5-pack from CI with a couple of Padilla ’68 Salomons for $25. The vitola was the Robusto #2 (60 x 6”). I sat down with Big Pimpin’ (the other B in B&B) and commenced to pull a draught Heineken and get into this much anticipated cigar. The wrapper was a lush reddish brown with a nice oily sheen. The cigar was well constructed, firm, and had only one predominant vein but otherwise was very neat. The pre-light aroma was that “barnyard goodness” that stinks so good. This is usually the aroma that accompanies many of the full-bodied cigars; something akin to the smell of barnyard hay. The pre-light draw was spicy and definitely fit the full-bodied profile. The first third started with a jet blast of peppery spice that caused me to sink a little lower in my deck chair because I knew I was going to be in for quite a ride. There was a slight sweetness on the finish that remained throughout the first 3rd that was akin to licorice but not as strong. The second third became creamy smooth and left a buttery texture on my palate and I continued to puff away. I didn’t have any problems with the draw or the burn although I did have to re-light after my wife called (that’s another story for another blog entry). After pulling another Heineken and a glass of Balvenie Doublewood scotch, I strapped my self in for the finish. The final third was all leather and really earthy but oh so good. No matter how fast I puffed the Ruination, it never got hot not even down to the nub. All in all, the total smoking experience (that’s putting it lightly) lasted about 2 hours and it was one hell of an experience. I did get the “cigar sweats” on my cheeks just below my eyes and I could feel a light rumble in my belly (good thing I ate those hot dogs before I smoked this one). I was still feeling the kick from the cigar as much as an hour after I had put it out. Needless to say, I slept like a baby and dreamt of the next rumble with the Man O’ War Ruination. If you like full-bodied cigars, do yourself a favor and get a box of these because you’ll burn through a 5-pack quick. Thanks again to The Great Torpedo for turning me on to this gem. 

The Final Verdict:  5 Smokes





Until next time. . .Fly straight and fly high.

-Da Byrdman-

No comments:

Post a Comment