Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Northern Virginia Cigar Enthusiasts Herf


Well it's been a full year since I last attended a NoVA cigar enthusiasts meetup so I figured I'd venture out and reaquaint myself with group and drum up some new candidates for the B&B monthly herfs. The event was held at Carpool in Arlington on the patio. Since they announced there would be free cigars, the turnout was pretty high. They were offering Montecristos and Romeo y Julieta Reservas and they went fast. I did manage to snag a Monte that someone left behind in their haste to exit so all was not lost. I met about four or five new people like Marvin (Marvinskitchen.com), Marty, The People's Champ (Social Cigar in the house), and few other guys whose names escape me at the moment but all very cool and certainly made the night enjoyable. As for smoking, I started the night with a NUb 466 Habano (my staple) and as has been the case with this particular box I'm working from, all of the ashes are flaky & downright messy though the flavor & burn still seem to be pretty consistent. I enjoyed a Sam Adams Summer Ale with the NUb before moving to a table with my old acquaintances Nick & Scott from the J. Gilberts herf. I then proceeded to enjoy an Alec Bradley Tempus Centuria. This was only the second one I had ever smoked but it didn't disappoint. Definitely in the medium range (for me) and certainly flavorful. The most notable flavor was the coffee and slight cocoa at the outset and the leather toward the final third. Definitely a slow burner that was even & only required a slight touch-up. As an aside, I did manage to see my buddy Chief before he left. Hopefully I can start copying him on reviews that I post to the blog here. Anyway, after sharing several anecdotes and talking about a myriad of cigars & cigar-friendly establishments, it was time to go. I passed out my card, said my goodbyes, & proceeded to finish my Alec Bradley Tempus on the ride home. I didn't throw it out of the window until the nub was on the fingertips & I was exiting I-95 in Stafford. Next update will be after I get the Man-O-War Ruinations & the Indian Tabac Super Fuertes.

Until then. . .Fly straight & fly high! Happy Smoking!

-Da Byrdman-


No comments:

Post a Comment