Saturday, August 15, 2009

CAO MX3 Robusto






















After watching a podcast review by Jerry Cruz aka "The Great Torpedo" of stogiereview.com, I decided to go to Draper's (www.wcurtisdraper.com) and pick up a CAO MX3. I ended up grabbing a 5 pack (plus a nice hat to boot). After two months in the humi it's finally time to give it a test drive.

The cigar is a 50 ring x 5 inch robusto with two bands (the lower band is Draper's) The MX3 is in CAO's Escaparate line which are exclusive cigars to certain retailers. The MX3 is a triple maduro (wrapper, binder, & filler). The wrapper is a dark, oily maduro with slight mottling and one small vein. The pre-light draw is slightly sweet and all-maduro.

The first third is very mild with a rich & flavorful bittersweet chocolate note. The cigar produces a light resting smoke. Subsequent puffs are producing a fair amount of dense white smoke. Smoke passed through the sinuses is light and very mild.

At the halfway point the cigar is still mild but gives a slight pepper taste on the tip of my tongue. The construction on this cigar is excellent and the burn is flawless with no need for a touch-up. Still getting loads of chocolate with little or no after bite but still a long finish no less.

The final third is still mild but the maduro flavor is awesome. While mild cigars are not my first choice (I'm a full-bodied beast), this is a flavor powerhouse. I can't escape the taste of this cigar as it is staying on my palate long after the nub has hit the ashtray. This is definitely made for the mild herfer who loves loads of flavor. I'll be sure to pass one to Big Pimpin' to get his take.

Overall, I like my cigars like my wife, smooth, full-bodied and strong. This cigar is not one that would be my first choice but I would absolutely make room in my humidor for a 5 pack anyday. Thanks again to Jerry for putting me on these.

As always fly straight and fly high.
Happy herfin',

Da Byrdman






No comments:

Post a Comment