Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hector Ain't As "Macho" As Da Byrdman!

Once again, I find myself ready to light up and review a couple of cigars with Big Pimpin and again I have no idea what I want. I go to my desktop humi in the study and begin to rifle through all of the cigars in the tray and below deck. I pass on everything in there before I stumble across the Camacho Coyolar Puro aka Camacho Black.

Until recently, I had only had one or two Camacho cigars in my life, but lately I'm finding myself picking up Corojos whenever I go to OVTC. On a recent trip to another B&M, I could not find any Corojos, so I decided to purchase the Coyolar Rothschild. It has been sitting in the bottom of my humidor next to the last LFD Double Ligero Chisel Maduro for about three weeks until this fateful night. Typically when I think of Camacho cigars, I think of Hector "Macho" Camacho just by virtue of word/name association. Now I'm anxious to see how much fight is in this little rascal.

Just so you have an idea of what I'm up against, here's the "Tale of the Tape":

Camacho Coyolar Puro Rothschild
50 ring x 4.5 inches
Wrapper: Coyolar (Honduras)
Binder: Coyolar (Honduras)
Filler: Coyolar (Honduras)
MSRP: $5.35

This cigar is a Honduran puro meaning that the entire cigar (wrapper, binder, & filler) is all from Honduras. The construction appears to be very solid with an oily wrapper that is somewhat toothy and has some veins. The cigar is packed firmly, but it's not hard indicating that the draw should be okay. I snip the cap and take a draw to reveal a sweet tobacco flavor with a slight peppery spiciness on the back of my throat. Upon toasting and lighting, the first puff is a blast of pepper and tangy spice that lights up my tongue and my palate. The retrohale is extremely volatile and I think all of my nose hairs have been burned away. I put the cigar down to re-group, only to notice that this stick of "pepper dynamite" is giving off very little resting smoke. Having "manned up", I take a couple of puffs and watch billowing white clouds of aroma-filled smoke waft into the night air from my deck. Between the dog and Big Pimpin, they think I'm high by the way I'm gazing at the smoke, especially after I comment that I'm not sure if the gin or the cigar has me buzzin'. For a short cigar, that I am herfin' like a champ, the burn is surprisingly cool and very flavorful. As the first third draws to a close, I am enjoying slightly sweet notes of smokey tobacco and the onset of dark roast coffee.

Moving into the second third, this cigar is still a pepper & spice powerhouse. Where similar cigars tend to mellow out and settle into a creamier range, this bad boy is still hitting my tongue like Tyson with "bad intentions". The ash is firm and manages to hold on for the first inch and a half before falling on the table just short of the ashtray. The body on this cigar is definitely moving into the full range although I am not experiencing the "cigar sweats" that usually come from tangling with a full-bodied powerhouse. As the middle of this cigar is winding down, I am starting to pick up a bit of leather while the dark roast coffee note is still holding on. For a short smoke, I have to admit that this cigar is long on power & flavor (Note to self: DO NOT underestimate the short smokes).

Coming into the final third of the Coyolar, I am starting to get a mixture of spice and heat on the tip of my tongue with each draw. Remember earlier when I said that this cigar was burining cool for a short smoke? Well, it's about to make a liar out of me. Aside from the heat with each draw, the leather flavor is building and while the smokey tobacco flavor disappeared for a minute. . . guess who's back! I must say that this cigar has a longer finish than I anticipated with the flavors lingering on my palate for several minutes after each puff and even holding on between subsequent sips of the gin & tonic. The last few puffs are telling me it's time to wrap things up since the cigar is now starting to burn my fingers and my lips (plus it's turning bitter which is not good).

On the whole, I must say that the Coyolar Puro Rothschild did not disappoint from the standpoint of strength and it actually surprised me with the complexity of flavor and the way it "changed gears" on me between the middle and the end. This cigar has a long finish, great burn, and actually left me wanting more. Overall, a good cigar for the experience and the price point. If you like full-bodied, I would recommend giving the Camacho Coyolar a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment