Monday, September 21, 2009

Great Expectations . . . Clasico Disappointment

This week I decided to review a cigar that I have never tried before:  the Joya de Nicaragua Clasico Criollo Toro.  I received this cigar in a sampler from my good friend & tobacconist Terri Beck.

Here's the brief skinny on this cigar:
Vitola:  5 x 60 Toro
Price:  A box of 25 retails for $74.99 at texcigars.com
Wrapper:  Nicaraguan Criollo Capas
Binder:  Cuban-seed Nicaraguan
Filler:  Cuban-seed Nicaraguan



Construction: A couple of prominent veins in the wrapper but consistent color, dark, & oily with a double seam cap.  Firmly packed but not too tight.

Pre-light:  Pre-light aroma is strong "barnyard" tobacco.  Pre-light draw has a good mix of milk & dark chocolate flavors.  As I clipped the head and lit this cigar, I had great expectations for a smorgasbord of flavor highlighted by the milk & dark chocolate notes on the pre-light draw.

1st Third:  Rich, woody chocolate  flavors jumped out on the first few puffs.  The cigar produces a decent amount of resting smoke; however,  not alot of smoke resulting from each puff.  The ash is white and solid with flecks of grey. Coming to the end of the 1st third this cigar has been pretty one-dimensional so far with a body in the medium range.

2nd Third:  The Clasico is still giving me chocolate notes with a raisin-like note on the finish.  The body is still medium and not a lot of action otherwise.

Final third:  The cigar is still giving off bitter dark chocolate flavors w/raisins on the finish.  Overall I have not had any burn issues or construction issues, but I wish I had just to give me something to write about because the cigar itself has given me very little.

In closing, I had great expectations for this cigar especially after reading other reviews on the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño line.  Suffice it to say that the Clasico is a "clasico disappointment".  Lack of overall flavor & complexity can never save a cigar in my opinion no matter how good the construction and overall appearance may be.  Think of a cigar like a good burger, you don't want it to be a mess all over you but if it's good you can live with it.  Some good cigars that produce major burn issues or have construction issues may still get a pass from me if the flavors and complexity warrant that I keep smoking them.  The Joya de Nicaragua Clasico Criollo is one I can do without.  My recommendation is. . . "One and Done!"  Proceed with caution on this one and only buy singles at best.

Until next time fly straight and fly high. . .

1 comment:

  1. Great Review! I have heard that this line was basically the cigars that didn't make the cut as the Antano 1970s. Other people that I have talked to that smoked this cigar said it was night and day when compared to the Antano. The Antano is one of my favorites of all time, but I don't think I will be trying this particular JDN. Thanks

    ReplyDelete